Monday, February 2, 2009

Sunday, February 1 ... SUPER Super Bowl Weekend!

Blog update by Cindy. What a great weekend!! The Steelers win, the weather was absolutely beautiful, and George spent the majority of the weekend home and did really well. On Saturday, Bev & Jim Brewer came out to Katy and spent the day with us. They arrived at Cane Island about 12:30, we loaded up George, and headed out to meet Lindsay & Dave at Pei Wei for lunch. From there, we took George and got his eyeglasses adjusted, and then headed home where the guys hung out for a couple of hours and we girls went and had pedicures. George needed to be back at Cane Island around 5 p.m. to get his next dose of medications before dinner, but after we got back there and saw what was on his evening tray, Bev & I went out to Jason's Deli and picked up dinner. The four of us sat around a card table, eating sandwiches and reminiscing about the good ol' days, and we sure look forward to more fun times ahead with them! George told me on Saturday that he was hungry for a home-cooked meal, so I took his "order" and started cooking Sunday morning. When I arrived at Cane Island on Sunday, George had a visitor ... Tommy w/Moore Supply . I didn't know if George was going to want lunch brought to him, or if he wanted to come home to eat, but I should have guessed the answer! Tommy was very kind (even though I did find out he was a Cardinal's fan!) and helped me get George into the car because I was bit nervous to try it solo. However, when we got to the house, George & I did manage just fine. The only snag we hit was getting the wheelchair up and over the door step, so George just had to use his good leg to push down and help me boost it up and over ... we made a pretty darn good team! Brady, of course, was glad to see George back again. He just sat by George's wheelchair and made George pet him and scratch his ears while I finished up lunch. I baked a chicken, made garlic mashed potatoes, sauteed squash and zucchini, and sliced a tomato freshly picked from George's garden. After lunch, I tried taking Brady AND George for a walk; that was not so successful! I decided not to press my luck for one day, so we headed back after only making it two houses down and got George ready to return to Cane Island. My brother was hosting a Super Bowl party this evening, so after getting George settled, I headed over to say hello. I only planned to stay until half-time since I was pretty worn out, but the game was so exciting and close, I decided to stay until the end. Lindsay had the winning numbers for the 2nd quarter of the football pool when the Steelers intercepted and ran for a touchdown in the final seconds before half-time. We were all standing up and cheering so loudly, that I think we were the reason James Harrison was able to break a few tackles before heading into the end zone to make Super Bowl history (ha!!). Hope everyone has a great week ahead ... oh, and here's a picture of George's visitor's last Thursday night.

No comments: