Thursday, January 1, 2009

Wednesday, December 31st...New Year's Eve: Let the Countdown Begin!

Blog update by Cindy. Just a few more hours until the new year, and I, for one, am looking forward to 2009. The last six months of 2008 was filled with a cancer scare and two surgeries for me, and just as I was feeling great, George had his stroke. So, let the countdown begin!! George and I had our traditional New Year's Eve date tonight; we usually do dinner and games with friends, but tonight it was just us ... and the nurses at Katy Rehab! My husband told me earlier in the day he was hungry for a steak, so I called Saltgrass and ordered us a steak and shrimp dinner, with all of the fixings, to go!! I got to the hospital around 5:30 p.m. and my New Year's date was anxiously awaiting my arrival. George wasn't kidding when he said he was hungry for a steak; he ate more than half of the 17 oz. T-Bone that I bought for us to share, 3 of the 5 grilled shrimp, a side salad and half of the Romano potatoes! It was a really good dinner; I know I sure miss my "King of the Grill" making me dinner at night. I tried to make the night a little festive by adding some balloons and blowers, and I even brought some plastic champage glasses so George and I could make a New Year's toast. Of course, we toasted to a healthy 2009 and also gave thanks for our wonderful family and large circle of friends that have given us soo much love and support this year, as well as all of the doctors, nurses, therapists and aids/assistants that take such good care of George at Katy Rehab. Oh, and I guess you realize by now that George was not discharged today! The caseworker never heard back from Blue Cross/Blue Shield on their decision, so until she hears otherwise, he's staying!! Also, I want to send out a special thank-you to Van & Jo Gilbert who interrupted their Christmas vacation with family in ENGLAND to call and check on us. The Gilberts, who both have been in the healthcare industry for years, called me bright & early this morning to check George's status at Rehab, answer the insurance questions I had, and give me some tips and advice on some other healthcare options we may be able to utilize in the future. Have a safe trip home you guys!! Also, George had another long-distance "caller" yesterday in the form of a visit ... George's cousin, Donald Ray Meek and his wife, Nadine, drove down from West Point, Texas, and I'm sure he really enjoyed seeing them!

No comments: