Sunday, February 15, 2009

Saturday, February 14 … Happy Hearts!

Update by Cindy. Happy Valentines Day to everyone! It was nice having MY valentine home with me. I didn’t have time to shop for him, but George said bringing him home was the best present I could give him. I did fix him a nice dinner … shrimp scampi, ceasar salad and asparagus; and my plan was for us to dine by candlelight, but unfortunately that didn’t happen. By 6 p.m., I had a backache from all of the transfers we did on our own today and a headache from figuring out George’s 16 different medications and when he takes them, so it’s a wonder that I even cooked because I came pretty darn close to just calling Dominoes! But since HE delivered and gave me a gift card for a full-body massage (thanks Lindsay J), I thought the least I could do was cook him a really good meal. I actually made out pretty well this Valentine’s Day, I received flowers from my Aunt Tish in Pennsylvania, Valentine cookies on Friday from Tricia, got a Beauty Brands gift card from a “little secret admirer” of mine, received an e-valentine from Laura, and my super sweet daughter and son-in-law brought George & I over chocolate covered strawberries earlier today for our dessert this evening. God’s love surrounds us through different friends and family every day; THANKS to all of you!

Today started off soo much better than yesterday. George & I both had a pretty good night’s sleep last night, so we were up for the challenge of our first full day “home alone.” The day began by meeting Mike Abreu, George’s nurse assigned to our case by Home Health Resources. Our first experience couldn’t have been better. Mike was very thorough, very informative, and even let me take a picture of him for the blog on his very first home visit (thanks, Mike!) … just an all-around great guy. He told us that George had been assigned a very good physical therapist, Kathy, who has worked with a lot of stroke victims, so we are anxious to meet her on Monday and get George back to work! He will also receive occupational therapy which will help George adapt to our home with his limitations, and maybe even some additional speech therapy. So, next week will be a busy one, unlike the past few spent at Cane Island … yippee!!

1 comment:

Linda Schacht said...

Hey guys. So glad to hear you're doing well. Sounds like home is a much nicer place to be. You've both been in my thoughts and prayers. Please let me know if there's anything at all I can do to make things easier or more pleasant. Sending happy thoughts your way, Linda Schacht