Saturday, February 21, 2009

Thursday, February 19 … Bunko Blessings

Update by Cindy. As many of you know, I have played bunko once-a-month with the same group of ladies for the past 10 years. Most of these women are moms of my daughter’s friends that she went to high school with, a former co-worker, and my own mother. We are all a very close knit bunch that together have experienced all life has to offer. Besides our monthly themed bunko nights that are all about friendship, food, and laughter, we share wonderful memories of high school sports, homecomings, proms and graduation, dealing with empty nest syndrome, the expense of college years, the anxiety of spring break trips, and treasure the joy over engagements, wedding planning, and now for some, the blessed event of grandchildren. We also love to travel together and have taken exciting trips to New York City, San Francisco and the beaches of Mexico, and have spent countless weekends at lake houses and beach houses playing games, eating and soaking in the sun (or rain in some instances)! We’ve also supported each other through the tough times of broken marriages, surgeries, cancer and cancer scares, deaths of family members and beloved pets. So, I don’t know why I was so surprised to learn that this group of amazing women, as well as a few former co-workers, are spearheading an effort to raise funds to aid George & I in purchasing some handicap equipment and accessories, pay 2009 medical deductibles, and perhaps even do a small bathroom remodel, to make our lives a little easier at home. After bunko on Wednesday night, I was given a beautiful card and a gift bag filled with their own “love offering” inside to get us started, (a few ladies had already left when the camera came out!) and wheels are already in motion for a benefit garage sale in April, so we’ll let you know when that will be taking place so you can either donate some of your own gently used treasures or come shop with us!! George & I are overwhelmed by this act of generosity and kindness, and we want to thank you from the bottom of our hearts! I also want to thank my wonderful daughter and son-in-law who spend countless hours each week helping me care for George. Without their help (and the understanding management team I work for), I don’t know how I would keep my full-time job and get away for these monthly gatherings with my friends that keep me sane! Thank you so much, Lindsay & Dave; you’re a blessing to us!!

George had a VIP visit this evening! Kelley Lloyd, George’s physical therapist from Katy Rehab came by to check on him. Kelley keeps up with the blog, and I think she was as nervous as I was over the fact that George didn’t get much “walking” time at Cane Island. We had a great time catching up, and then curiosity got the best of us, so we decided to get George up on his feet and let Kelley see what she thought. They did a little “slow dancing” to check George’s balance and weight shifting ability and then they took off down the hallway. Kelley thought George did great, and even though he didn’t get much practice walking, his muscle tone and reflexes were stronger. She was pleased with his progress in the weeks since he left KRH, and was also happy to hear that we have a great team working with him from Home Health Resources. I think we will only have them another week or so, and then hopefully insurance will approve out-patient therapy at KRH. Our goal is to get George walking!! After Kelley left, the Ligon’s (and Mari & Sam too!) came by and picked us up for a dinner date. I’ve been curious to see if a SUV would be easier than a car to get George in and out of, but their Ford Edge (which is actually one of the new crossovers) required just as much effort for George and the wheelchair! So, I guess once I have some spare time on my hands (ha!), I still have a little SUV shopping to do!

No comments: