Monday, December 22, 2008

Sunday, December 21...STRENGTH in Numbers!

Tonight's blog update by Cindy. All of you that know me well, know that I like "themes." Bunko themes, party themes, scrapbook themes, decorating themes, etc. Well tonight, I can report that even our weekend had a theme, and it was STRENGTH. By Friday afternoon, after another long week of work, hospital runs, household errands, holiday shopping, etc., I felt in desperate need of some! I left work and headed over to see George. I stayed for about an hour and a half, but he was so worn out after an afternoon of vigorous physical therapy, he didn't feel like talking much, so I grabbed his laundry and headed home to feed and walk our dog. I had only been in the house for a few minutes, when I got a phone call from Beverly Brewer saying that she and Jim had just arrived at the hospital and was hoping to see the both of us. I was just too tired to head back in that direction, so she said that they would visit with George and then head over to take me out to dinner. In the meantime, Lindsay & Dave had called so we invited them to come and join us. We all headed over to Victor's Casa Garcia and had several baskets of chips w/salsa followed by some good mexican food, but the great, uplifting company was the best of all! Oh, and the Brewers brought me a Willow Tree angel and George a christmas stocking to hang in his room at the hospital, so Santa better remember to fill it Christmas Eve! Saturday morning started early. George & I decided to treat the weekend nursing staff to a giant decorated chocolate chip cookie, so I headed out to pick that up. When I arrived at the hospital, I pulled the electric razor out and got George looking spiffy for his weekend visitors. Terri and Emily were on their way from Willis, my mom came by to say hello, and Lindsay & Dave were in route with Brady AND Cooper & Macy too! It was definitely a "dog day afternoon" for George, and he and the dogs loved the outing! Emily & I eventually went and picked up some Italian food, and we girls all went back upstairs and ate lunch with George. After lunch, Emily & I went and ran some errands and Terri stayed behind for a little father/daughter time. Brian Lewis, a co-worker of George's at Klare Plumbing, came by and I know George enjoyed catching up with him. Before leaving for the evening, I sat on George's bed and was telling him my plans for the remainder of the evening as well as for Sunday when he grabbed my hand and asked ... "What about us?!?" When I asked him what he meant, he asked what we were going to do about him coming home. I told him that I hoped by the time he was discharged (the current insurance plan is 12/31/08), that he would be strong enough to stay "home alone" which meant getting in/out of bed and/or the wheelchair by himself or with very little assistance, so he had to continue to work hard. And then my husband, who almost never talks about his faith or spirituality, sorta shrugged and got teary-eyed on me and said that he had been praying for MY strength, both physically and mentally. I guess my constant praying over him while in the hospital had rubbed off, and I pretty much lost it. Especially when he added, "you know, it's just me, you, and the Lord!" I told him that I was certainly relying on the Lord for strength for both of us, and He would make sure that George & I were okay. Just about that time, my cell phone rang, and it was a dear friend from Abilene who I truly believe has a direct line to God. Vickie said that she had some bible verses for me, and went on to recite them. She started out with Matthew 28:20 ... And remember, I am with you always ... and then continued with a few others about getting strength from the Lord. I couldn't believe it, it was like God wanted me to know that He was indeed with us, giving us the strength that George and I and soo many of you have been praying for during this trial. And then, just to top it all off, I went to the mailbox before church this morning, and I had a package from Judy Conley Herrerra, the daughter of George's former employer of 25+ years. Inside was a small wrapped gift with a note that read, "Thinking of you, Cindy" and guess what was inside?!? A hand-painted wooden cross with the word "Strength" printed across the front!! Truly amazing, huh?!? Maybe our pastor, Dan Miller, summed it up best during this morning's service. He was talking about how Mary, just a teenager, received news from an angel that she would soon give birth to a son. Mary, at the time, had other things going on, and to be unmarried and pregnant was surely not in her plans. Dan called this news, and the pregnancy, an "interruption" in her life; it tested her faith, as well as Joseph's. But through this test, it brought them closer to each other and to God. So, from now on, I'm looking at this health crisis as just an "interruption" in our lives, one that I too hope brings us closer to each other and to God! A special thank-you to George's Sunday visitors: Lindsay & Dave; April, Madison and Brian Dorman; Rick & Laura Krustchinsky; and Mike Ligon. Pictures from the weekend will be on the blog tomorrow; I need to get my camera to Lindsay, so be sure to check back!! Love to all ...

1 comment:

Denise said...

Cindy - what a wonderful, touching blog! I am praying for yall daily!